Subject: 24.5; Slow printing in inferior python buffer with python-shell-enable-font-lock

From: Ista Zahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 12:42:39 -0400

From: Ista Zahn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 24.5; Slow printing in inferior python buffer with
python-shell-enable-font-lock
--text follows this line--

1. Start emacs with 'emacs -Q'
2. Start inferior python process with 'M-x run-python'
3. Run 'print(list(range(9999)))' in the *Python* buffer

Result: emacs grinds to a halt and has to be killed.

Setting '(setq python-shell-enable-font-lock nil)' after step 1 fixes
the problem.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.2)
 of 2015-04-20 on bitzer.hoetzel.info
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Inferior Python

Minor modes in effect:
  compilation-shell-minor-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Making python-shell-interpreter local to *Python* while let-bound!
Making python-shell-interpreter-args local to *Python* while let-bound!
Sent python-shell-completion-setup-code
Sent python-ffap-setup-code
Sent python-eldoc-setup-code
Making completion list...
Quit
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.
You can run the command `describe-function' with C-h f
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.
command-execute: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns help-mode compile cl-extra python
easymenu json comint ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib ansi-color time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 85167 7385)
 (symbols 48 19060 0)
 (miscs 40 66 149)
 (strings 32 12981 4007)
 (string-bytes 1 392970)
 (vectors 16 10694)
 (vector-slots 8 403996 7441)
 (floats 8 69 390)
 (intervals 56 271 19)
 (buffers 960 14)
 (heap 1024 41397 1140))