Subject: bug#21072: 24.5; inconsistent behaviour of `C-M-h (mark-defun)' in Emacs Lisp

From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 08:30:11 +0200

On 2016-05-07, at 08:47, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 07 May 2016 05:47:18 +0200
>> 
>> I'm not sure what to do next with this bug.  I tried with the
>> abovementioned short Elisp file and failed.  Since no-one said that the
>> current behavior is wrong, maybe I'll try to study the code of
>> `mark-defun' and modify the docstring/manual accordingly.
>
> I'd suggest to change the doc string according to what I recommended a
> few messages ago.  I think that would be good enough.

Hi Eli, hi all,

and sorry for replying after such a long time (again) - I'm afraid
I cannot help this, my time has become extremely limited recently.

I studied the code of mark-defun, and it seems that the reason for
#21072 is quite simple.  I enclose a patch where the two (seemingly)
offending lines are commented; if this is acceptable, of course I'll
prepare a proper patch.  (And while at that, I'll propose replacing
`(and transient-mark-mode mark-active)' with `(use-region-p)'.)

The problem is, I'm not sure whether this change won't break anything.
The only tests I found that deal with `mark-defun' are in
python-tests.el, and my version passes all three of them.

> Thanks.

Best,

-- 
Marcin Borkowski
http://octd.wmi.amu.edu.pl/en/Marcin_Borkowski
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
Adam Mickiewicz University