Subject: bug#21072: 24.5; inconsistent behaviour of `C-M-h (mark-defun)' in Emacs Lisp

From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2016 05:47:18 +0200

On 2016-05-06, at 14:59, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 14:27:49 +0200
>> 
>> (defun spam ()
>>   (spam))
>> 
>> ;; Lorem ipsum
>> (defun lorem-ipsum ()
>>   "Lorem ipsum."
>>   (message "Lorem ipsum."))
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>> 
>> How do I place point so that `mark-defun' would mark `lorem-ipsum'
>> together with the comment before?
>
> I'm sorry, I no longer remember.  It's hard to communicate when days
> pass between messages.

I'm really sorry, but for me the asynchronicity of email and the
possibility of responding after a few days/weeks instead of a few
minutes is one of the main advantages of email as such (as opposed to
"tools" like Facebook, which I consider more of "toys", also because of
the difficulty to spread the conversation to weeks).  I can only spend
that much time on Emacs bugs each day - similarly with other things -
and I often respond after long time (especially if the response needs
some time/effort to compose).

I'm not sure what to do next with this bug.  I tried with the
abovementioned short Elisp file and failed.  Since no-one said that the
current behavior is wrong, maybe I'll try to study the code of
`mark-defun' and modify the docstring/manual accordingly.

Best,

-- 
Marcin Borkowski
http://octd.wmi.amu.edu.pl/en/Marcin_Borkowski
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
Adam Mickiewicz University