Subject: Re: bug#21072: 24.5; inconsistent behaviour of `C-M-h (mark-defun)' in Emacs Lisp

From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 20:58:27 +0200

On 2016-05-01, at 21:56, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 01 May 2016 21:45:37 +0200
>> 
>> > So if we say "either precedes or follows point" instead of "follows
>> > point", all will be well?
>> 
>> Formally, yes.  Though I guess it would be a bit better to fix the
>> commands so that it's behavior matches the docs.
>
> Why do you think that?  Why is it better to always mark the function
> that follows point?

I don't know, I don't use `mark-defun' personally.  My train of thought
was that if someone wrote something like that inthe docs, s?he thought
it was reasonable.

> Me, I think that the current behavior is a kind of feature, since it
> lets the user control whether the leading commentary before a function
> will or won't be marked.

I don't understand that.  How do I control that?

Best,

-- 
Marcin Borkowski
http://octd.wmi.amu.edu.pl/en/Marcin_Borkowski
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
Adam Mickiewicz University