Subject: Re: bug#21068: guix system: error: build failed: path `/gnu/store/..-grub.cfg' is not valid

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 15:37:01 +0200

Germano Gabbianelli <[email-masked]> skribis:

> tyrion ~$ sudo guix system init --no-grub /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt
> [sudo] password for tyrion:
> warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
> /gnu/store/q32xg8nmyjwrl5yc18hj7ay5h4rgzkgy-system
>
> initializing operating system under '/mnt'...
> guix system: error: build failed: path
> `/gnu/store/hill6gywff6p2c3h1zbc7h5xj0cr4yn2-grub.cfg' is not valid

This could be due to how you fiddled manually with /gnu/store and
/var/guix.  In general, one should never manually touch these
directories; instead, one should use ‘guix gc’ and similar commands.

> I also trying reinstalling guix by deleting /gnu, /var/guix, and
> /var/log/guix (and also wiping the partition with rm)

To be safe, could you start anew again, and report back?

  sudo rm -rf /gnu /var/guix
  # reinstall from binary tarball

>   (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda9")))

There’s a mistake here: it should be “/dev/sda” (say), not “/dev/sda9”
(the latter designates a partition, whereas the former designates a
disk.)  It doesn’t matter here since you passed --no-grub, but it would
otherwise lead to a ‘grub-install’ failure.

HTH,
Ludo’.