Subject: bug#21067: 25.0.50; [PATCH] With mercurial, vc-print-log puts point at eob

From: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 03:36:38 +0200

On Sun, Jul 19 2015, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> I like the idea, but FWIW the patch breaks diff-hl-revert-hunk
> (diff-hl is in GNU ELPA). Haven't investigated it further yet.

If I read diff-hl-revert-hunk correctly the code in vc-exec-after
expects point where (the synchronous call to) vc-diff-internal left it,
which should not be at eob, which is exactly where my patch would put
it :-(

It seems some code (not so far) out there uses synchronous calls for
a reason and also does much more weird things in vc-exec-after than I'd
have thought.

So, I'd rather just accept that the synchronous and asynchronous case
behave in different ways and scrap my proposed patch.

Thanks for pointing out this example.

> And the particular bug you've described, naturally, can also be fixed
> by making vc-hg-print-log asynchronous:

If all -print-log backend functions can be made asynchronous there's
nothing left to fix in the frontend I guess...