Subject: coreutils-8.24 - documentation installation targets fail in some sub-directories

From: Peter Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 21:23:41 +1000

Greetings,

One last quick bug report for the day. Still coreutils-8.24 on Solaris
10 and Solaris 11 on X86 VMs.

The installation of built documentation (dvi,ps,pdf) requires the use
of the gmake(1) option '-k' to avoid failing in sub-trees not
supporting these phony make targets.

Successful Steps:

	gmake pdf ps dvi

Unsuccessful Steps:

	gmake install-pdf install-ps install-dvi

Workaround Steps:

	gmake -k install-pdf install-ps install-dvi

Given the nature of the coreutils build process (mostly non-recursive),
maybe these phony targets don't need to be invoked recursively, but
once again I'm guessing, and have not explored the problem completely.

Regards,

Peter Bray
Sydney, Australia

Example Errors:

take-1%   gmake install-pdf install-ps install-dvi

Making install-pdf in po
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/po'
gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target `install-pdf'.  Stop.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/po'
gmake: *** [install-pdf-recursive] Error 1

take-2%   gmake -k install-pdf install-ps install-dvi

Making install-pdf in po
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/po'
gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target `install-pdf'.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/po'
Making install-pdf in .
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24'
  /pkgs/64-bit/bin/gmkdir -p 
'/pkgs/64-bit/release/coreutils-8.24-scaffolding/share/doc/coreutils'
  /pkgs/64-bit/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 doc/coreutils.pdf 
'/pkgs/64-bit/release/coreutils-8.24-scaffolding/share/doc/coreutils'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24'
Making install-pdf in gnulib-tests
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/gnulib-tests'
Making install-pdf in .
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/gnulib-tests'
gmake[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-pdf-am'.
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/gnulib-tests'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/gnulib-tests'
gmake: *** [install-pdf-recursive] Error 1
gmake: Target `install-pdf' not remade because of errors.
Making install-ps in po
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/po'
gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target `install-ps'.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/po'
Making install-ps in .
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24'
  /pkgs/64-bit/bin/gmkdir -p 
'/pkgs/64-bit/release/coreutils-8.24-scaffolding/share/doc/coreutils'
  /pkgs/64-bit/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 doc/coreutils.ps 
'/pkgs/64-bit/release/coreutils-8.24-scaffolding/share/doc/coreutils'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24'
Making install-ps in gnulib-tests
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/gnulib-tests'
Making install-ps in .
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/gnulib-tests'
gmake[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-ps-am'.
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/gnulib-tests'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/gnulib-tests'
gmake: *** [install-ps-recursive] Error 1
gmake: Target `install-ps' not remade because of errors.
Making install-dvi in po
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/po'
gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target `install-dvi'.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/po'
Making install-dvi in .
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24'
  /pkgs/64-bit/bin/gmkdir -p 
'/pkgs/64-bit/release/coreutils-8.24-scaffolding/share/doc/coreutils'
  /pkgs/64-bit/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 doc/coreutils.dvi 
'/pkgs/64-bit/release/coreutils-8.24-scaffolding/share/doc/coreutils'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24'
Making install-dvi in gnulib-tests
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/gnulib-tests'
Making install-dvi in .
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/gnulib-tests'
gmake[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-dvi-am'.
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/gnulib-tests'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/64-bit/coreutils-8.24/gnulib-tests'
gmake: *** [install-dvi-recursive] Error 1
gmake: Target `install-dvi' not remade because of errors.

PS: Yes, all packages are being built with unique installation
prefixes, and the "scaffolding" suffix relates to the build phase of
the larger project.