Subject: Re: bug#21061: coreutils-8.24 - Partially reproducible failures of tests/misc/timeout-parameters.sh

From: Peter Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 13:21:38 +1000

On 16/07/15 05:56 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> for i in $(seq 20); do time gtimeout 2.34e+5d sleep inf; done

gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.015 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.009 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total
gtimeout 2.34e+5d gsleep inf  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 0.010 total

Sorry, I didn't make that clear, when the command works (like it does 
mostly on 64-bit on 64-bit systems, as I poorly conveyed in the last 
post) it never returns and it returns "immediately" on the failure, 
which (as the above shows) was 20 out of 20 test cases.

 > This coredump occurs even on 64-bit systems where the gtimeout command
 > waits for the sleep command (to finish - which it won't).

Sorry for the confusion,

Peter