Subject: bug#21053: 24.5; emacs "-nw" option crashes in zsh [email-masked]

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:46:51 +0200

Hi Brad,

I just installed oh-my-zsh but can't reproduce a crash with the emacs
plugin.  What the plugin does is defining an emacs alias which actually
calls emacsclient.  Concretely, "emacs args" will call

  emacsclient --alternate-editor "" --create-frame --no-wait args

or

  emacsclient --alternate-editor "" --no-wait args

With the plugin enabled, I get the following

  $ emacs
  emacsclient: file name or argument required
  Try `emacsclient --help' for more information

  $ emacs -nw
  emacsclient: file name or argument required
  Try `emacsclient --help' for more information

  $ emacs file
  # file is opened in existing X frame

  $ emacs -nw file
  # file is opened in existing X frame, the -nw option seems to be
  # ignored

That the -nw flag is ignored and it doesn't work with no file given can
be considered bugs of that plugin in their own respect, but at least
that doesn't crash emacs.  But I'm using a current emacs git checkout
rather than 24.5, so could you please test if the two emacsclient
commands above crash your emacs version?

Bye,
Tassilo