Subject: bug#21043: closed (Fixed)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2017 19:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#21043: [PATCH] nnimap.el: make capability parsing more robust.

which was filed against the gnus package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21043: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21043
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Fixed
From: Nikolaus Rath <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2017 11:13:10 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Fixed in commit b0aa05907fe9ecd31601fcacb2aad5fd065e2595.

-- 
GPG encrypted emails preferred. Key id: 0xD113FCAC3C4E599F
Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F

             »Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.«

Subject: [PATCH] nnimap.el: make capability parsing more robust.
From: Nikolaus Rath <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 18:52:40 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: gnus
Tags: patch

Hello,

Currently Gnus relies on the server supplying the capabilities in its
response to the LOGIN command, e.g. like this:

  * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE
  SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
  MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS
  LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES
  WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS SPECIAL-USE BINARY MOVE SEARCH=FUZZY
  QUOTA\r\n
  1 OK Logged in\r\n

However, this assumption breaks if the server doesn't return the
capabilities automatically, or if he returns them as part of the OK
response, e.g.:

   160 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE ACL RIGHTS=kxten
   QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT
   CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY CATENATE CONDSTORE ESEARCH SEARCH=FUZZY
   SORT SORT=MODSEQ SORT=DISPLAY SORT=UID THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
   THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE ANNOTATE-EXPERIMENT-1 METADATA
   LIST-EXTENDED LIST-STATUS LIST-MYRIGHTS LIST-METADATA WITHIN QRESYNC
   SCAN XLIST XMOVE MOVE SPECIAL-USE CREATE-SPECIAL-USE DIGEST=SHA1
   X-REPLICATION LOGINDISABLED XCONVERSATIONS COMPRESS=DEFLATE
   X-QUOTA=STORAGE X-QUOTA=MESSAGE X-QUOTA=X-ANNOTATION-STORAGE
   X-QUOTA=X-NUM-FOLDERS IDLE] User logged in
   SESSIONID=<sloti32d1t18-237747-1436749914-1-18339819756817078727>\r\n

Currently, in this situation Gnus just keeps re-using the pre-LOGIN
capabilities (and thus does not take advantage of any additional
features).

The attached patch fixes this issue by explicitly asking the server for
its capabilities after login.

Thanks for considering,
-Nikolaus

-- 
GPG encrypted emails preferred. Key id: 0xD113FCAC3C4E599F
Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F

             »Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.«