Subject: bug#21042: There exists etc/emacs.desktop. Please consider adding an emacsclient.desktop

From: Vaidheeswaran C <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 09:38:45 +0530

I am filing this bug report on behalf of Rusi.  See this thread
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-07/msg00254.html

----------------------------------------------------------------

There exists etc/emacs.desktop.  Please consider adding an
emacsclient.desktop

On my debian wheezy, there is a desktop file for emacs but NOT for
emacsclient.  I have a feeling that, once Emacs repo officially
recommends a emacsclient.desktop file and mention that in NEWS file,
package distributors would be inclined to explore means to package
this file on their distributions.

$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs23
emacs23-bin-common: /usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs23

$ dpkg -L emacs23-bin-common | grep desktop

$ dpkg -L emacs23 | grep desktop
/usr/share/applications/emacs23.desktop

----------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW (and tangentially related to Emacs), my box ships with a desktop
file for gnuclient.

$ dpkg -L gnuserv | grep desktop
/usr/share/applications/gnuserv.desktop

$ cat /usr/share/applications/gnuserv.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=gnuclient
GenericName=gnuclient
Comment=Client for the GNU Emacs Text Editor
Exec=/usr/bin/gnuclient.emacs
TryExec=gnuclient
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Utility;TextEditor;
MimeType=text/plain