Subject: bug#21006: closed (Re: bug#21006: 25.0.50; xref-quit doesn't restore changes in window scrolling position)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 13:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#21006: 25.0.50; xref-quit doesn't restore changes in window scrolling position

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21006: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21006
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21006: 25.0.50; xref-quit doesn't restore changes in window scrolling position
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 15:38:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 03.12.2020 13:30, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> This function no longer exists, so the recipe no longer works.
> 
> Is this problem still present in the current Emacs version?

Yes, sure. You can repeat the scenario with 'M-x project-find-regexp'.

The crux is doesn't restore the previous window scroll positions.

This especially cut against the mental model of the older version of the 
UI which presented locations in a more "transient" fashion. But the 
model has changed, and there haven't been any complaints like this 
recently, so let's close it.

Thanks.

Subject: 25.0.50; xref-quit doesn't restore changes in window scrolling position
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 03:46:21 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. Open lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode.el.

2. M-x xref-find-regexp, type 'defun elisp-[a-z]' (without quotes) when
prompted, press RET.

3. In the xref buffer, press `n' a couple of times, see the window
displaying elisp-mode.el scroll to show the definitions.

4. Press `q', see the previous window configuration restored, but the
scrolling position of the elisp-mode.el window remains changed.

I wonder if we can do anything about that.

While there's nothing surprising in this behavior given the
implementation, the user did lose their position in the buffer, train of
thought, etc.