Subject: Re: bug#20999: 24.4; Inconsistent UID vs USER resolution between emacsclient and emacs daemon

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 11:48:08 -0400

Mike Alexander wrote:

> Starting the emacs daemon with "emacs --daemon=$EMACS_DAEMON_NAME", where
> the $EMACS_DAEMON_NAME matches the standard letter, number, underscore
> requrements, ends up using
> my UID in the socket creation since my username is longer than 8
> characters ("/tmp/emacs$(id -u)/$EMACS_DAEMON_NAME").

I've never seen this use anything BUT the UID, no matter how long your
username is. That's what it has always used for me, with a two character
username, and emacsclient works fine.

Nevertheless, I tried with a username with more than 8 chars, and that
too worked fine.

> However, running "emacsclient -c -s $EMACS_DAEMON_NAME" fails with a
> refused connection because it attempts to connect using my username
> instead of the UID and fails to find the socket
> ("/tmp/emacs$USER/$EMACS_DAEMON_NAME").

How did you conclude that it was trying to use your username?

I don't suppose you have a huge UID?

Are you sure your version of emacsclient matches your version of emacs?