Subject: bug#20999: closed (Re: bug#20999: 24.4; Inconsistent UID vs USER resolution between emacsclient and emacs daemon)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 19:02:03 +0000

Your bug report

#20999: 24.4; Inconsistent UID vs USER resolution between emacsclient and emacs daemon

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20999: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20999
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20999: 24.4; Inconsistent UID vs USER resolution between emacsclient and emacs daemon
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 14:01:44 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Glenn Morris wrote:

> Wolfgang Jenkner wrote:
>
>> Since connect() is a syscall you could run emacsclient under strace to
>> easily find out with which arguments it is called. 
>
> (Perhaps emacsclient should get a --debug argument that prints such things.)
>
> Please also post the result of
>
> emacs -Q -l server
> C-h v server-socket-dir

More than a year has passed with no further information, so I'm closing this.

Subject: 24.4; Inconsistent UID vs USER resolution between emacsclient and emacs daemon
From: Mike Alexander <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 01:57:38 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Many standard programs will automatically use the UID (the number) of a
user instead of the USER (username) when the USER string is longer than
8 characters.  In my case the username assigned to me is 11 characters
long and cannot be changed.

Starting the emacs daemon with "emacs --daemon=$EMACS_DAEMON_NAME", where
the $EMACS_DAEMON_NAME matches the standard letter, number, underscore
requrements, ends up using
my UID in the socket creation since my username is longer than 8
characters ("/tmp/emacs$(id -u)/$EMACS_DAEMON_NAME").  However, running
"emacsclient -c -s $EMACS_DAEMON_NAME" fails with a refused connection
because it attempts to connect using my username instead of the UID and
fails to find the socket ("/tmp/emacs$USER/$EMACS_DAEMON_NAME").  These
behaviors should be consistent between the two since they're expected to
be used in tandem.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2014-12-18 on GOL-AP21-DV
Windowing system distributor `The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.11602000
System Description: Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/mtalexander/local/ --with-xpm=no
 --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-visible-mark-mode: t
  visible-mark-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  global-semantic-mru-bookmark-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-completions-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-local-symbol-highlight-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-summary-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-semantic-highlight-func-mode: t
  global-semantic-stickyfunc-mode: t
  global-semantic-show-parser-state-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p r t <backspace> <backspace> o r t - e m a
c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /home/mtalexander/.emacs.d/smooth-scrolling.el (source)...done
Loading /home/mtalexander/.emacs.d/init-etags.el (source)...done
Loading /home/mtalexander/.emacs.d/grep-buffers.el (source)...done
Loading /home/mtalexander/.emacs.d/multi-term.el (source)...done
Loading /home/mtalexander/.emacs.d/linum.el (source)...done
ad-handle-definition: `tramp-read-passwd' got redefined
Helm completion enabled
Loading
/home/mtalexander/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20150319.1356/helm-autoloads.el
(source)...done
[sml] sml/theme set to respectful
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils company-files
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-capf company-cmake
company-xcode company-clang company-semantic company-eclim
company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb company-c-headers
visible-mark lk-file-search xcscope smart-mode-line-respectful-theme
smart-mode-line rich-minority helm-swoop helm-projectile helm-config
async-bytecomp async helm-aliases helm-mode helm-files rx image-dired
tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell dired-x dired-aux ffap
helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive
helm-info bookmark pp helm-locate helm-help helm-org org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs helm-match-plugin helm-grep helm-regexp helm-plugin grep
helm-external helm-net browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
url-vars mailcap helm-utils compile comint ansi-color helm helm-source
projectile ibuf-ext ibuffer dash thingatpt company easy-mmode multi-term
cl-macs cl term disp-table ehelp grep-buffers mule-util elscreen dired
init-etags smooth-scrolling advice help-fns+ info wid-edit help-fns
help-mode+ help-mode edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib package
epg-config semantic/mru-bookmark semantic/db-mode semantic/db gv
eieio-base semantic/idle semantic/format ezimage semantic/ctxt
semantic/decorate/mode semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/decorate
pulse winner ring paren semantic/util-modes easymenu semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv eieio-core mode-local cedet linum cus-start cus-load
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 325520 172357)
 (symbols 48 41544 5)
 (miscs 40 563 1081)
 (strings 32 105861 99545)
 (string-bytes 1 3546932)
 (vectors 16 32991)
 (vector-slots 8 629990 41331)
 (floats 8 197 223)
 (intervals 56 504 3080)
 (buffers 960 13)
 (heap 1024 35991 15990))