Subject: bug#20998: Out of bounds global read in shred / genpattern()

From: Hanno Böck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 01:29:20 +0200

Hi,

There is an out of bounds read error in the function genpattern() in
shred (coreutils 8.23). This issue only appears randomly.

To test:
a) recompile coreutils 8.23 with address sanitizer: ./configure
CFLAGS="-fsanitize=address -g" LDFLAGS="-fsanitize=address"; make
b) create a test file: touch x
c) run shred multiple times on it with -n 20:
for i in $(seq 1 1000); do src/shred -n 20 x; done

You will see the errors. Here's the output from Address Sanitizer:

==25808==ERROR: AddressSanitizer: global-buffer-overflow on address 0x000000416628 at pc 0x4047a0 bp 0x7ffc99fee730 sp 0x7ffc99fee720
READ of size 4 at 0x000000416628 thread T0
    #0 0x40479f in genpattern src/shred.c:782
    #1 0x4050d9 in do_wipefd src/shred.c:921
    #2 0x406203 in wipefile src/shred.c:1175
    #3 0x406b84 in main src/shred.c:1316
    #4 0x7f3454a1ef9f in __libc_start_main (/lib64/libc.so.6+0x1ff9f)
    #5 0x4025d8 (/tmp/coreutils-8.23/src/shred+0x4025d8)

0x000000416628 is located 56 bytes to the left of global variable '*.LC49' from 'src/shred.c' (0x416660) of size 17
  '*.LC49' is ascii string '%s: fstat failed'
0x000000416628 is located 12 bytes to the right of global variable 'patterns' from 'src/shred.c' (0x416540) of size 220
SUMMARY: AddressSanitizer: global-buffer-overflow src/shred.c:782 genpattern
Shadow bytes around the buggy address:
  0x00008007ac70: 01 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 00 00 00 07 f9 f9 f9 f9
  0x00008007ac80: 00 00 01 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 00 00 03 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9
  0x00008007ac90: 00 00 00 03 f9 f9 f9 f9 00 00 00 00 03 f9 f9 f9
  0x00008007aca0: f9 f9 f9 f9 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
  0x00008007acb0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
=>0x00008007acc0: 00 00 00 04 f9[f9]f9 f9 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 f9
  0x00008007acd0: f9 f9 f9 f9 00 00 06 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 00 00 00 03
  0x00008007ace0: f9 f9 f9 f9 00 00 05 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 00 00 01 f9
  0x00008007acf0: f9 f9 f9 f9 00 00 00 00 00 05 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9
  0x00008007ad00: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9
  0x00008007ad10: 00 04 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 02 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9 f9
Shadow byte legend (one shadow byte represents 8 application bytes):
  Addressable:           00
  Partially addressable: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 
  Heap left redzone:       fa
  Heap right redzone:      fb
  Freed heap region:       fd
  Stack left redzone:      f1
  Stack mid redzone:       f2
  Stack right redzone:     f3
  Stack partial redzone:   f4
  Stack after return:      f5
  Stack use after scope:   f8
  Global redzone:          f9
  Global init order:       f6
  Poisoned by user:        f7
  Contiguous container OOB:fc
  ASan internal:           fe
==25808==ABORTING

-- 
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: [email-masked]
GPG: BBB51E42