Subject: bug#20987: Replacing "15 Support for test suites" in the Automake manual

From: "Arthur Schwarz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 14:22:34 -0700

The existing Automake description is terse enough to be unreadable.
Significant issues are unaddressed or addressed in a manner which is more
confusing than enlightening. The replacement manual covers each test regime
fully (except for Dejagnu) and provides a introduction which gives a general
basis for understanding the material to follow. It is understood that
several sections in the introduction would be best presented as a general
introduction. However, Automake does not provide any insight into these
issues and any addressing of them in the Automake manual is scatter shot. 

You are welcome to use or not use the material. You are welcome to copy or
reference the material. And you are welcome to ignore everything in the
material or that I have said. The replacement manual is for your use or
non-use.

The Dejagnu test harness is not addressed. I'm exhausted and Dejagnu holds
little appeal. Sorry.
 
Note the TAP section covers all the materials needed to understand the
existing TAP implementation plus some new materials which represent the
replacement code sent in http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20986.

I recognize that files of this size present an issue for the servers but
have no other manner which will allow distribution of the document. I do not
have a web site. If you can suggest an alternative transmittal mechanism
then I will use it.

art

Maintenance turns design into chaos