Subject: Re: bug#20968: 25.0.50; Be able to specify the output directory for `byte-compile-file'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 17:35:32 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 14:54:07 +0300
> 
> On 07/04/2015 11:24 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > What's more, I don't understand why people use those places.  The
> > Emacs forums are quite friendly, so there should be no reason for them
> > to avoid us.
> 
> An average user doesn't really want to talk to someone. They want to 
> find an answer to their question, and maybe a bunch of settings to apply 
> to their init file.

To get a question answered, they must first ask it, exactly like they
would on gnu.emacs.help.  Then they need to read the answers, and
perhaps comment on them, exactly as they would on gnu.emacs.help.

> The stack-foo platform is extremely geared towards the ease of finding 
> existing answers (via editing, tagging and voting), or contributing an 
> answer that's comprehensive and easy to find (without searching through 
> all the messages in a mailing list discussion).

All our mailing lists are indexed by Google, exactly like stack-foo.

> You can't beat that.

It sounds like we don't want to, or have given up in advance.  In that
case, the result is known up front.