Subject: Re: bug#20968: 25.0.50; Be able to specify the output directory for `byte-compile-file'

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 14:46:50 -0400

> My point was precisely a call to teach them to know better.

In my experience the number of questions on stack-foo which should be
bug-reports is no worse than the number of questions on gnu.emacs.help
which should be bug reports.

So, for me, stack-foo is no worse than gnu.emacs.help in that respect.

I do see some downsides to stack-foo:
- the "pull rather than push" is indeed annoying (there are ways to
  circumvent it, tho).
- for people whose workflow is email-based it's annoying that you can't
  reply from Gnus (for example) in the "usual" way.
- it's centralized and "out of control": e.g. there's no archive
  available.  As long as it exists, we can still access it, and by
  nature it tends to add data so it's in a sense "self-archiving", but
  since questions and answers can be edited (and are edited) there's no
  way to really see what it was like two years ago.

In any case, it exists and it's not like we have the power to force
people to use something else.

        Stefan