Subject: bug#20968: 25.0.50; Be able to specify the output directory for `byte-compile-file'

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:10:30 -0400

>> I don't necessarily disagree with the first part.  I won't be
>> using this feature myself, in any case.
> Who will?

The case I know of where the .elc and .el are not next to each other is
to place the byte-compiled files in a directory specific to the Emacs
version used to compile.  This is used in Debian so as to be able to
have Elisp packages and byte-compiled for many different
(X)Emacs versions.

I haven't looked at how Debian packages manage to place the compiled
files at the right place, tho.

        Stefan

> If you dwell a lot on those sites, how about encouraging people to use
> the Emacs forums, where they will get definitive answers, instead of
> talking to random people (present company excluded) on Stack-foo?

FWIW, I answer also on stack-foo, and I like the fact that answers can
be edited/fixed: it's a bit halfway between a forum and wiki, which
has its advantages.  I do thoroughly dislike the centralized aspect of
it, tho.