Subject: bug#20961: closed (Re: bug#20961: 24.5; `dired-jump' quite slow under Cygwin Emacs)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 20:25:03 +0000

Your bug report

#20961: 24.5; `dired-jump' quite slow under Cygwin Emacs

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20961: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20961
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20961: 24.5; `dired-jump' quite slow under Cygwin Emacs
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 15:24:07 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This doesn't seem to be leading anywhere, so after 18 months with no
comments I am closing it.

Subject: 24.5; `dired-jump' quite slow under Cygwin Emacs
From: Sebastien Vauban <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 12:27:11 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Now that profiling works under Cygwin Emacs (thanks Ken and Eli!), I can
report the following when playing a couple of seconds with Dired-jump
(which I find much slower on Cygwin Emacs than on Windows Emacs).

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
- ...                                                         6440  59%
 - find-file                                                  6315  58%
  - apply                                                     6315  58%
   - ad-Advice-find-file                                      6315  58%
    - let                                                     6315  58%
     - let                                                    6315  58%
      - setq                                                  6315  58%
       - with-no-warnings                                     6315  58%
        - funcall                                             6315  58%
         - #<compiled 0x4018ad5f>                             6315  58%
          - find-file-noselect                                6315  58%
           - run-hook-with-args-until-success                 6315  58%
            - dired-noselect                                  6315  58%
             - dired-internal-noselect                        6315  58%
              - dired-readin                                  6311  58%
               - dired-readin-insert                          6290  57%
                - dired-insert-directory                      6290  57%
                 - insert-directory                           6289  57%
                  - apply                                     6289  57%
                   - ls-lisp--insert-directory                6289  57%
                    - get-free-disk-space                     6288  57%
                     - process-file                           6288  57%
                        apply                                 6288  57%
                    + byte-code                                  1   0%
                 + dired-insert-set-properties                   1   0%
               + run-hooks                                      21   0%
              + create-file-buffer                               3   0%
              + dired-mode                                       1   0%
   Automatic GC                                                125   1%
- command-execute                                             4370  40%
 - apply                                                      4370  40%
  - ad-Advice-command-execute                                 4370  40%
   - let                                                      4370  40%
    - setq                                                    4370  40%
     - with-no-warnings                                       4370  40%
      - funcall                                               4370  40%
       - #<compiled 0x401aa6bf>                               4370  40%
        - call-interactively                                  4370  40%
         - helm-M-x                                           4354  40%
          - command-execute                                   4354  40%
           - apply                                            4354  40%
            - ad-Advice-command-execute                       4354  40%
             - let                                            4354  40%
              - setq                                          4354  40%
               - with-no-warnings                             4354  40%
                - funcall                                     4354  40%
                 - #<compiled 0x401aa6bf>                     4354  40%
                  - call-interactively                        4354  40%
                   - byte-code                                4351  39%
                    - helm-M-x-read-extended-command          4351  39%
                     - helm-comp-read                         4351  39%
                      - helm                                  4351  39%
                       - apply                                4351  39%
                        - helm                                4351  39%
                         - apply                              4351  39%
                          - helm-internal                     4351  39%
                           - funcall                          4351  39%
                            - #<compiled 0x180e4dbe5>         4351  39%
                             - helm-read-pattern-maybe        4330  39%
                              + read-from-minibuffer           323   2%
                              + helm-update                      4   0%
                             + helm-initialize                  19   0%
                             + helm-display-buffer               2   0%
                   + profiler-report                             3   0%
         + diredp-previous-line                                  7   0%
         + diredp-next-line                                      5   0%
+ redisplay_internal (C function)                               45   0%
+ timer-event-handler                                           21   0%
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-cygwin)
 of 2015-06-23 on desktop-new
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.3.9600
Configured using:
 `configure --srcdir=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.5-2.x86_64/src/emacs-24.5 --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs/html -C --with-w32
 'CFLAGS=-ggdb -O2 -pipe -Wimplicit-function-declaration -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.5-2.x86_64/build=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.5-2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.5-2.x86_64/src/emacs-24.5=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.5-2'
 CPPFLAGS= LDFLAGS='

As I see there's an advice on `find-file', yes that's true; here's mine:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  (defadvice find-file (around my/find-file activate)
    "Open the file named FILENAME and report time spent."
    (let ((filename (ad-get-arg 0))
          (find-file-time-start (float-time)))
      (message "(Info) Finding file %s..." filename)
      ad-do-it
      (message "(Info) Found file %s in %.2f s" filename
               (- (float-time) find-file-time-start))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Other couple of (innocent) customs:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  (global-set-key (kbd "M-x") #'helm-M-x)

  (require 'dired-x)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---