Subject: bug#20943: 25.0.50; Dired buffers are not always auto-reverterd

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 11:20:56 +0200

Mark Karpov <[email-masked]> writes:

> When I copy some files or create files, they are placed by Dired in
> different positions than they would be placed normally (via ls call or
> whatever Emacs uses internally). This is a separate problem, because of
> this, I had to press ‘g’ in such cases, so every file gets in its proper
> position. 
>
> What I propose is to make sure that copied/created/added to current
> directory by other means files are in the same positions as they would
> be displayed by ls command (or whatever Emacs uses), so when user
> presses ‘g’ order of files doesn't change.

This is a feature of dired. It doesn't want to regenerate the whole
dired buffer; instead it adds the new entry at the position the cursor
is pointing to. This is because reverting the dired buffer could be
expensive. Think about a remote directory, think about many inserted
subdirectories.

Good or bad, if we want to change this behavour we would need a customer
option which would trigger the regeneration of the dired buffer
automatically.

Best regards, Michael.