Subject: Re: bug#20943: 25.0.50; Dired buffers are not always auto-reverterd

From: Mark Karpov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 22:08:16 +0600

I want to report some ‘adverse effects’:

When I copy some files or create files, they are placed by Dired in
different positions than they would be placed normally (via ls call or
whatever Emacs uses internally). This is a separate problem, because of
this, I had to press ‘g’ in such cases, so every file gets in its proper
position. Now, however, autorevert does this for me. I know what is
happening, but for others this may look really confusing. Imagine, you
copied some files, and then they randomly jump in different positions
without your explicit command!

Not only confusing, but dangerous it may be, since some (really fast)
user may manage to delete wrong files (it's not difficult if your files
are moving!).

What I propose is to make sure that copied/created/added to current
directory by other means files are in the same positions as they would
be displayed by ls command (or whatever Emacs uses), so when user
presses ‘g’ order of files doesn't change.

This would be really good improvement. In simplest case, you can just
regenerate/revert buffer after commands that change contents of Dired
buffer adding new element into list of files.

If you decide to let ‘auto-revert-handler’ change edited directories
freely, you have to implement this change too. The both changes would be
quite useful.