Subject: Re: bug#20943: 25.0.50; Dired buffers are not always auto-reverterd

From: Mark Karpov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 15:39:49 +0600

Now with "emacs -Q"… This is what I evaluated before testing:

(custom-set-variables
 '(auto-revert-use-notify nil))

(defun auto-revert-handler ()
  "Revert current buffer, if appropriate.
This is an internal function used by Auto-Revert Mode."
  (message "invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at %s, for ‘%s’"
           (current-time-string)
           (buffer-name))
  (when (or auto-revert-tail-mode (not (buffer-modified-p)))
    (let* ((buffer (current-buffer)) size
           ;; Tramp caches the file attributes.  Setting
           ;; `remote-file-name-inhibit-cache' forces Tramp to reread
           ;; the values.
           (remote-file-name-inhibit-cache t)
           (revert
            (if buffer-file-name
                (and (or auto-revert-remote-files
                         (not (file-remote-p buffer-file-name)))
                     (or (not auto-revert-use-notify)
                         auto-revert-notify-modified-p)
                     (if auto-revert-tail-mode
                         (and (file-readable-p buffer-file-name)
                              (/= auto-revert-tail-pos
                                  (setq size
                                        (nth 7 (file-attributes
                                                buffer-file-name)))))
                       (funcall (or buffer-stale-function
                                    #'buffer-stale--default-function)
                                t)))
              (and (or auto-revert-mode
                       global-auto-revert-non-file-buffers)
                   (funcall (or buffer-stale-function
                                #'buffer-stale--default-function)
                            t))))
           eob eoblist)
      (message "dired-directory-changed => %s"
               (dired-directory-changed-p default-directory))
      (message "dired-buffer-stale-p => %s"
               (dired-buffer-stale-p))
      (message "buffer-stale-function => %s"
               (funcall buffer-stale-function))
      (message "revert => %s" revert)
      (setq auto-revert-notify-modified-p nil)
      (when revert
        (when (and auto-revert-verbose
                   (not (eq revert 'fast)))
          (message "Reverting buffer `%s'." (buffer-name)))
        ;; If point (or a window point) is at the end of the buffer,
        ;; we want to keep it at the end after reverting.  This allows
        ;; to tail a file.
        (when buffer-file-name
          (setq eob (eobp))
          (walk-windows
           (lambda (window)
             (and (eq (window-buffer window) buffer)
                  (= (window-point window) (point-max))
                  (push window eoblist)))
           'no-mini t))
        (if auto-revert-tail-mode
            (auto-revert-tail-handler size)
          ;; Bind buffer-read-only in case user has done C-x C-q,
          ;; so as not to forget that.  This gives undesirable results
          ;; when the file's mode changes, but that is less common.
          (let ((buffer-read-only buffer-read-only))
            (revert-buffer 'ignore-auto 'dont-ask 'preserve-modes)))
        (when buffer-file-name
          (when eob (goto-char (point-max)))
          (dolist (window eoblist)
            (set-window-point window (point-max)))))
      ;; `preserve-modes' avoids changing the (minor) modes.  But we
      ;; do want to reset the mode for VC, so we do it manually.
      (when (or revert auto-revert-check-vc-info)
        (vc-find-file-hook)))))

(global-auto-revert-mode 1)
(setq global-auto-revert-non-file-buffers t)

‘auto-revert-handler’ is slightly edited to print messages. And here is
the contents of *Messages*:

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Deleting...done
Mark set
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [3 times]
next-line: End of buffer [9 times]
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [5 times]
Mark set
Quit
nil
next-line: End of buffer [13 times]
auto-revert-handler
t
Mark set
t
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [6 times]
next-line: End of buffer [14 times]
C-' is undefined
Quit [2 times]
Deleting...done
C-' is undefined
Quit [2 times]
auto-revert-handler
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:32 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:32 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:32 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:32 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:32 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:32 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:32 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:32 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:32 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:32 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:37 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:37 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:37 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:37 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:37 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:37 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:37 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:37 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:37 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:37 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:42 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:42 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:42 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:42 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:42 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:42 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:42 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:42 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:42 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:42 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:42 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:47 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:47 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:47 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:47 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:47 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:47 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:47 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:47 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:47 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:47 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:47 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:52 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:52 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:52 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:52 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:52 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:52 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:52 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:52 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:52 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:52 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:52 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
Quit
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:57 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:57 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:57 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:57 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:57 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:57 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:57 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:57 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:57 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:57 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:15:57 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:02 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:02 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:02 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:02 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:02 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:02 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:02 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:02 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:02 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:02 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:02 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:07 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:07 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:07 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:07 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:07 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:07 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:07 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:07 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:07 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:07 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:07 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:12 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:12 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:12 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:12 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:12 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:12 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:12 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:12 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:12 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:12 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:12 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:17 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:17 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:17 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:17 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:17 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:17 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:17 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:17 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:17 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:17 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:17 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:22 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:22 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:22 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:22 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:22 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:22 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:22 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:22 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:22 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:22 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:22 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:27 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:27 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:27 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:27 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:27 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:27 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:27 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:27 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:27 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:27 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:27 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:32 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:32 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:32 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:32 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:32 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:32 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:32 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:32 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:32 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:32 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:32 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:37 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:37 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:37 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:37 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:37 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:37 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:37 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:37 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:37 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:37 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:37 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:42 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:42 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:42 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:42 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:42 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:42 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:42 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:42 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:42 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:42 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:42 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:47 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:47 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:47 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:47 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:47 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:47 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:47 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:47 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:47 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:47 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:47 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:52 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:52 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:52 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:52 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:52 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:52 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:52 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:52 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:52 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:52 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:52 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:57 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:57 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:57 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:57 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:57 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:57 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:57 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:57 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:57 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:57 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:16:57 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:02 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:02 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:02 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:02 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:02 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:02 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:02 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:02 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:02 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:02 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:02 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:07 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:07 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:07 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:07 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:07 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:07 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:07 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:07 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:07 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:07 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:07 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:12 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:12 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:12 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:12 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:12 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:12 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:12 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:12 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:12 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:12 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:12 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:17 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:17 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:22 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:22 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:22 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:22 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:22 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:22 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:22 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:22 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:22 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:22 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:22 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:27 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:27 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:27 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:27 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:27 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:27 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:27 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:27 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:27 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:27 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:27 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:32 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:32 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:32 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:32 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:32 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [29 times]
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:37 2015, for ‘*scratch*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:37 2015, for ‘flacize_tests’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:37 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-0*’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:37 2015, for ‘ *code-conversion-work*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:37 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 0*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:37 2015, for ‘ *Echo Area 1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:37 2015, for ‘*Messages*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:37 2015, for ‘2008, Hard Candy’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:37 2015, for ‘ *Minibuf-1*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:37 2015, for ‘*shell*’
invoked ‘auto-revert-handler’ at Fri Jul  3 15:17:37 2015, for ‘sh’
dired-directory-changed => nil
dired-buffer-stale-p => nil
buffer-stale-function => nil
revert => nil

So, I was wrong. Maybe I missed something. It doesn't even get to
messages that print return values of various functions. Buffer named
‘2008, Hard Candy’ was frozen during the experiment. Then I pressed ‘g’
— this refreshed it. Then I went to desktop environment (XFCE4), located
this folder and deleted a file — it was reflected in the buffer in a
second. To be honest working in "emacs -Q" is really painful, because
normally my Emacs is heavily customized… In principle if I'm the only
one to experience this thing, I don't think debugging is worth the
trouble. On the other hand my system setup is not that unique, so
theoretically many users might experience this. At any rate, I'm ready
to investigate it further, if you have some ideas.