Subject: Re: bug#20943: 25.0.50; Dired buffers are not always auto-reverterd

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 17:52:31 +0300

> From: Mark Karpov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 14:02:02 +0600
> 
> I've set ‘auto-revert-use-nofity’ like this:
> 
>   (custom-set-variables
>    '(auto-revert-use-notify nil))
> 
> Then I managed to reproduce this behavior. After that, I evaluated
> 
>   (dired-directory-changed-p DIRNAME)
> 
> and result was t. Any ideas what's going on?

The next step is to verify that the auto-revert-handler function is
called every 5 sec as expected.  Can you add to its beginning some
printout that, say, displays the value returned by
current-time-string, and see if that function gets invoked regularly?

If it does, then it should call buffer-stale-function, which Dired
sets to dired-buffer-stale-p, which should return non-nil, since you
say dired-directory-changed-p returns non-nil.  And then the buffer
should be reverted.

Please see which parts of this do not work in your case.

Thanks.