Subject: Re: bug#20943: 25.0.50; Dired buffers are not always auto-reverterd

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 18:38:41 +0300

> From: Mark Karpov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:09:25 +0600
> 
> > Just to be sure: You have evalled that form prior opening the dired
> > buffer, and setting it to auto-revert-mode?
> 
> Yes, I added that to my configuration file and restarted Emacs. In my
> config I have this:
> 
>   (global-auto-revert-mode 1)
> 
> so Dired is always in auto-revert-mode by default.

For the record, I can't reproduce any of this.  I tried both with file
notifications and without them, and I could never see a change that
was skipped.

When this happens to you, i.e. in those 50% of cases, did you try
waiting for some time for the changes to be reflected in the buffer?

Also, if you disable auto-revert-use-notify, reproduce the problem
(i.e. run the script and observe no changes), and then type the
following

  M-: (dired-directory-changed-p DIRNAME) RET

where DIRNAME is the absolute file name of the directory shown by
Dired, what does Emacs show?  If it shows nil, please step through the
body of dired-directory-changed-p, and see why it doesn't see the
directory as changed.  (It relies on the time stamp of the directory
-- does that somehow fail to change on your system?)