Subject: bug#20943: 25.0.50; Dired buffers are not always auto-reverterd

From: Mark Karpov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 00:19:36 +0600

***

I'm using ‘global-auto-revert-mode’ setting variable
‘global-auto-revert-non-file-buffers’ to t, like this:

  (setq global-auto-revert-non-file-buffers t)
  (global-auto-revert-mode                  1)

As far as I know, this is normal way to make Dired automatically
redisplay its buffer when contents of target directory are
changed. However, it doesn't always work. In some cases Dired buffer is
updated just fine, but there are also times when changes in target
directory don't cause redisplaying.

Is it a known problem? Can it be fixed? If it's a problem unique to my
machine (I doubt it, though) I can give your more information.

***

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.13 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.4)
 of 2015-06-27 on arch
Repository revision: ff80437668dd0d5163c9e43f0c200b923b39166b
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ε

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  aggressive-indent-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-fill-mode: 1

Recent messages:
Truncate long lines enabled [2 times]
Tuesday, 30 June 2015
Truncate long lines enabled [2 times]
Compilation finished
Comint finished
user-error: No undo information in this buffer
next-line: End of buffer [11 times]
Truncate long lines enabled [2 times]
Mark set
Truncate long lines enabled [2 times]
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail smex misearch multi-isearch
tronesque-theme ace-window vc vc-dispatcher haskell-doc inf-haskell
haskell-decl-scan imenu shell pcomplete haskell haskell-completions
haskell-load haskell-commands highlight-uses-mode haskell-modules
haskell-sandbox haskell-repl haskell-debug haskell-interactive-mode
haskell-presentation-mode haskell-collapse haskell-navigate-imports
haskell-compile haskell-process haskell-session json haskell-indent
haskell-font-lock haskell-mode haskell-string haskell-sort-imports
haskell-align-imports haskell-compat haskell-complete-module flymake
dabbrev haskell-customize bookmark names edebug vc-git diff-mode
autoload lisp-mnt mm-archive url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-handlers url-parse url-vars hl-line nndraft nnmh
nnfolder utf-7 epa-file epa derived epg gnutls network-stream nsm
auth-source starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
password-cache dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls utf7 netrc nnoo
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
wid-edit rainbow-delimiters flycheck-haskell haskell-cabal haskell-utils
flycheck find-func rx subr-x flyspell ispell whitespace mk-visual
solarized-dark-theme solarized mk-texinfo mk-tex mk-scheme mk-python
mk-prolog mk-org mk-markdown mk-man mk-magit mk-lisp slime-fancy
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
compile etags xref eieio eieio-core arc-mode archive-mode noutline
outline pp comint ansi-color ring hyperspec browse-url slime-autoloads
mk-ibuffer mk-haskell mk-gnus mk-eshell mk-erc mk-elisp mk-dired mk-diff
mk-clojure mk-calendar mk-c mk-bookmark mk-minor-modes
common-lisp-snippets yasnippet help-mode cl whole-line-or-region paren
minibuf-eldef ido-vertical-mode ido-ubiquitous ido-completing-read+
cl-macs gv ido autorevert filenotify cl-seq aggressive-indent easy-mmode
time delsel smartparens-config smartparens byte-opt thingatpt mk-global
edmacro kmacro ace-link avy mk-utils f dash s ucs-normalize mk-abbrev
misc server finder-inf tex-site fix-word info easymenu advice bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra seq cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib cconv package
epg-config time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind gfilenotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 494815 102093)
 (symbols 48 46299 0)
 (miscs 40 148 693)
 (strings 32 104873 65503)
 (string-bytes 1 2973069)
 (vectors 16 71619)
 (vector-slots 8 1951411 189879)
 (floats 8 618 1174)
 (intervals 56 2093 556)
 (buffers 976 26)
 (heap 1024 71280 9117))