Subject: bug#20943: 25.0.50; Dired buffers are not always auto-reverted

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 20:12:04 +0200

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

>> What Mark was trying to tell you is that dired-stale-p is not even
>> called when buffer-modified-p returns non-nil.  So what you suggest is
>> impossible without a thorough rewrite of the beginning of
>> auto-revert-handler.
>
> That's why I have proposed to remove the buffer-modified-p check from
> auto-revert-handler. It shall be checked in <foo>-stale-p, if desired.

I've committed a patch to the trunk which implements
it. auto-revert-tests.el seems to be happy with this (no surprise, it's
written by me :-)

Mark, could you check whether this is sufficient for you? There is still
a check in dired-buffer-stale-p:

	 ;; Do not auto-revert when the dired buffer can be currently
	 ;; written by the user as in `wdired-mode'.
	 buffer-read-only

Don't know whether it affects your use case.

And likely, doc/emacs/arevert-xtra.texi must be adapted too, haven't done
this yet. I'm waiting, whether the fix flies.

Best regards, Michael.