Subject: bug#20943: 25.0.50; Dired buffers are not always auto-reverted

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:43:37 +0300

> From: Mark Karpov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 01:50:48 +0600
> 
> 
> Currently I'm happy with my version of ‘auto-revert-buffer’. If you
> think it gets too hairy. I can just create a package that fixes all this
> stuff, so Dired can be really interactive and put it on MELPA for
> example.
> 
> But as a user, I'm telling you that current standard behavior is really
> confusing. If you set something to auto-revert your Dired buffer (and
> this is something many people expect from utility to browse
> directories), than when it works sometimes, but cease to work when you
> made changes (probably having no idea that the buffer now considered
> «modified») — this ain't good.

No one's disputing that.  The only issue we need to resolve is how to
let Dired buffers auto-revert even when the user actually edits the
directory, without causing unnecessary re-reads of the directory (for
the sake of remote directories).