Subject: bug#20931: batch byte-compilation is too quiet now

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 23:43:43 -0400

Artur Malabarba wrote:

> Which was instroduced by this commit, which seems to be intentional.
>
> cd2d58c1c81d608d6e1aefe1eb8a3d1f1cd60540
> Author:     Paul Eggert <a
> href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
> AuthorDate: Sat Jan 3 18:28:35 2015 -0800
> Commit:     Paul Eggert <a
> href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
> CommitDate: Sat Jan 3 18:29:23 2015 -0800
>
> Less 'make' chatter in batch mode

I like the changes in the verbosity of Emacs's own "make" output, but
batch-byte-compile is a general utility function with uses other than
"building Emacs", and it's a bit weird to see it totally silent after
many years of printing the name of the compiled file. On the other hand,
eg gcc doesn't print anything on a successful compilation, so maybe I
should just get used to it (I don't know if it's worth a NEWS entry).