Subject: Re: bug#20917: 24.5; Emacs hang after installing gtk3 in windows 7

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:32:45 +0300

> Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 02:58:05 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Andy <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Bravo, Eli!!! Thanks a lot. I don't know what a "DLL hell" is

It's a situation where you have several incompatible DLLs of the same
name that fight each other, and give you hell.

> but it works! I downloaded librsvg and all its required libs and
> installed them. And now emacs can start normally. I think one should
> put a link in FAQ about using gtk3 in emacs under windows: One has
> to use the port from ezwinports first before using gtk3+.

We already advise to prefer ezwinports to GTK ports (see README.W32).  I
actually don't understand why you tried to install them, and why you
think the GTK ports are newer: none of the libraries they distribute
have newer versions than what you have on ezwinports.

> Your help
> is greatly appreciated. How do I close the bug report now?

Send email to [email-masked], where NNNN is the bug
number.  I did that for this bug.

Thanks.