Subject: bug#20910: 24.4; *shell* write the password in clear in the buffer on git push

From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 10:45:49 +0200

On 2015-06-27, at 10:51, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> M-x shell
>> git add mysupersoftware.py
>> git commit -m "pay attention of the pep8 thanks M-x py-pep8-run"
>> git push
>> shell $ request for the password of the git, and print it in clear in
>> the buffer
>
> Can you show us the actual password prompt (which is the only info that
> Emacs gets that a password is being requested, so it needs to recognize
> it, and those prompts change with language settings and stuff, so it's
> very heuristic and messy).

I suspect that this might depend on Git version and configuration, and
things like gpg-agent.  In my case, it displayed a window (in WM sense,
not in Emacs sense) asking for password, and only after clicking
"Cancel", it asked within Emacs.  The prompt was:

Password for 'https://[email-masked]':

and indeed the characters of the password were visible.

>         Stefan

Best,

-- 
Marcin