Subject: bug#20892: 25.0.50; Applying vc-diff hunks on CRLF tracked files

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 14:42:48 +0100

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Refraining from overriding coding-system-for-read/write if they are
> already bound is a Good Thing, so I installed that change in the
> emacs-25 branch.

Thanks.

> However, re-reading the original bug report, I'm now confused.
> Originally, you said that the ^M characters in the vc-diff output were
> correct, and your problem was with applying the hunks.  If you now say
> that the problem is with those ^M characters, and applying the hunks
> after that is no longer a problem, then we can now close this bug.
> Please clarify.

Indeed, it is a bit confusing, so here's the story:

1. Sometime in June 2015, upgrade my emacs. vc-diff some CRLF file

2. "Cool, a new feature now makes it show precisely which chars were
   added and deleted even the CRs"

3. "Oh, but vc-apply-hunk stopped working, let's open bug 20892"

4. Discuss bug, argue that showing ^M is cool for when you really want
   to apply patches that add and remove just one or two of those.

5. Apply some reasonable fix to my config. Be side-tracked by
   dayjob. Lose interest in discussing the bug,

6. Eventually, realize 4 is silly and if you're mixing CRLF and
   non-CRLF line endings you've already lost.

7. Recently, March 2016, also realize that diacritics are also wrong
   in latin-1 files.

8. Decide to reevaluate situation, read some code and commit messages,
   and propose a new fix that makes the vc-diff buffer have the same
   encoding as the originating file, as apparently was intended.
   vc-apply-hunk is fixed, if I ever need to do something like 4
   I'll do it outside of emacs.

I think you can close the bug.

-- 
João Távora