Subject: bug#20889: python Tkinter

From: Cyril Roelandt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 02:34:17 +0200

On 06/24/2015 09:14 AM, Federico Beffa wrote:
> The python package does not provide Tkinter which is part of the
> Python Standard Library
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/tkinter.html?highlight=tkinter#module-tkinter
> 

I think we need to add tcl and tk to the inputs, and add the
corresponding "-I" and "-L" flags to the configure flags. The issue is
that tk depends on Python (through libx11, which depends on libxcb,
which depends on Python), so we end up with a circular dependency
leading to what I reported in
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20967 .

I think we should:
- rename the Python package to "python-without-tkinter" or
"python-minimal" and use that as a dependency in xorg.scm;
- define a "python" package that would inherit the "minimal Python"
package and add the dependency on tcl/tk to it.

WDYT ?