Subject: Re: bug#20889: python Tkinter

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 12:21:11 +0200

Federico Beffa <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 12:39 AM, Cyril Roelandt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On 07/05/2015 12:16 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>> I’m asking because it might be that we could keep the default Python
>>> without Tk, and only use the Tk-enabled Python for the few packages that
>>> need it, if it’s rare enough.
>>
>> No, we do not want that. Users who install Python expect to be able to
>> import tkinter, since it is part of the standard library.
>
> I agree with Cyril.

OK.  Then we effectively need to proceed as you suggest: Build
python-minimal (which does not depend on Tk), build Tk, and then build
python.

But we should make sure that python-minimal is not retained, if
possible.

Ludo’.