Subject: 25.0.50; etags fails to work

From: jpff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 13:18:16 +0100

I used to use etags and M-. to navigate my 0.5m lines of code but for
a while now it just does not work
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Autoloading failed to define function xref-find-definitions")
  autoload-do-load((autoload "xref" 1654971 t nil) xref-find-definitions)
  command-execute(xref-find-definitions)

I can load xref.elc by hand, but that makes no difference.

Running on todays sources.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.19 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.28)
 of 2015-06-23 on birtwistle
Repository revision: 2cc87a4b666a018d50a7c977603a237b4ca12724
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11601000
System Description:	openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading after-save...done
Loading uniquify...done
Loading /home/jpff/mail-filter.el (source)...done
Loading /home/jpff/myemacs.elc...done
Loading delsel...done
Preparing diary...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark saved where search started
Entering debugger...
Loading dired-add...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/xref hides /home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lisp/progmodes/xref

Features:
(shadow flyspell ispell mailalias mailcrypt mail-extr comint
ansi-color ring emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode debug xref misearch multi-isearch vc
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib vc-dispatcher vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cal-julian delsel cus-start cus-load
image-file crypt crypt++ crypt+pgp-pub paren view cal-china cal-bahai
cal-islam cal-hebrew lunar solar cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
holidays hol-loaddefs cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs time
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 143134 6048)
 (symbols 48 25203 0)
 (miscs 40 258 188)
 (strings 32 31162 6069)
 (string-bytes 1 1050220)
 (vectors 16 18032)
 (vector-slots 8 519483 4501)
 (floats 8 674 586)
 (intervals 56 451 0)
 (buffers 976 14)
 (heap 1024 18097 1132))

==John ffitch