Subject: bug#20871: 25.0.50; fill-single-char-nobreak-p does not recognize a single-letter word when it is preceded by an open paren

From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 17:58:18 +0200

On 2019-08-17, at 17:04, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Michał Nazarewicz <[email-masked]>,
>>  [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 16:17:04 +0200
>>
>> > My problem is conceptual rather than practical.  Since in , e.g.,
>> > English it is okay to break a line after single-letter words, whereas
>> > in Polish it is not [...]
>>
>> FWIW, I remember some English native speaker (from the UK, I guess)
>> saying that he likes the rule about not breaking the line after e.g. "a"
>> and would like English to have a similar one.
>
> I could understand that, but someone's personal preferences are not
> necessarily good for the rest of us.

Agreed, this is not enough to actually implement anything, but I think
it's interesting to know.  (Actually, I never break a line after an "a"
when I write in English, and I think this is consistent with the general
rule that linebreaks should not come between things constituing some
kind of one entity - but this is just me.)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl