Subject: 24.5; ido-mode autocompletion failure aborts find-file when attempting to use tramp

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 19:15:00 -0700

I've got ido-mode enabled, and I'm trying to open a file on another
machine with TRAMP. This machine is running windows, so I'm using
plinkx. As soon as I type the @ in the filename (I'm trying to open
/plinkx:db48x@anglachel:projects/emularity/loader.js, in this case) I
get this error in the *Messages* buffer:

ido-file-name-all-completions-1: Opening directory: no such file or directory, c:/plinkx:db48x@

And here's the stack trace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Opening directory" "no such file or directory" "c:/plinkx:db48x@")
  file-name-all-completions("" "/plinkx:db48x@")
  ido-file-name-all-completions-1("/plinkx:db48x@")
  ido-file-name-all-completions("/plinkx:db48x@")
  ido-make-file-list-1("/plinkx:db48x@")
  ido-make-file-list(nil)
  ido-read-internal(file "Find file: " ido-file-history nil confirm-after-completion nil)
  ido-file-internal(raise-frame)
  ido-find-file()
  call-interactively(ido-find-file nil nil)
  command-execute(ido-find-file)

I'm not sure if ido is supposed to ignore this error, or if it's calling
the wrong function, or what.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2015-04-11 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/usr --host=i686-pc-mingw32'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-keep-place-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  highlight-changes-visible-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
mouse-2, RET: find function's definition
Quit
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
ido-file-name-all-completions-1: Opening directory: no such file or directory, c:/plinkx:db48x@
Quit
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Debug on Error enabled globally
Entering debugger...
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.
mouse-2, RET: find function's definition

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail debug tramp-cmds vc-git
tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
erc-truncate erc-speedbar erc-sound erc-services erc-replace erc-page
erc-notify erc-log erc-identd erc-ibuffer ibuf-ext erc-ezbounce
erc-desktop-notifications notifications dbus erc-dcc erc-capab
erc-autoaway ido-completing-read+ warnings autoload lisp-mnt mm-archive
network-stream starttls url-http tls url-gw url-cache url-auth url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf mailcap url-handlers epg finder-inf etags tutorial info-look
info help-macro help-at-pt ehelp eieio-opt ses unsafep package
epg-config newst-backend xml derived mpc ispell htmlfontify esh-var
esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-util erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill
erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat pp
doc-view jka-compr image-mode calculator calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs
windmove whitespace vcursor ruler-mode mule-util reveal repeat
org-protocol org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs linum kmacro ido ibuffer hl-line
hippie-exp follow filesets filecache ffap emacs-lock dabbrev completion
bs autorevert filenotify autoinsert elec-pair cua-base two-column
ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-init desktop frameset apropos cus-theme
eieio-custom wid-browse tree-widget shadowfile ange-ftp woman man
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe rst compile comint ansi-color rcirc
ring ps-print ps-def lpr proced mh-e mh-compat mh-acros cl-macs cl gv
mh-buffers mh-loaddefs message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader hilit-chg hi-lock gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils cwarn cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit face-remap
dired-aux dired js advice json imenu thingatpt cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs misearch
multi-isearch browse-url url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv eieio-core
gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars arc-mode
archive-mode help-mode easymenu server time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32notify w32
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 1196167 101198)
 (symbols 32 50928 0)
 (miscs 32 39459 8251)
 (strings 16 151747 23960)
 (string-bytes 1 4319858)
 (vectors 8 56800)
 (vector-slots 4 1622444 36118)
 (floats 8 568 1394)
 (intervals 28 102001 3582)
 (buffers 508 82))