Subject: bug#20821: closed (Re: bug#20821: 24.5; ido-mode autocompletion failure aborts find-file when attempting to use tramp)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 18:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#20821: 24.5; ido-mode autocompletion failure aborts find-file when attempting to use tramp

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20821: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20821
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20821: 24.5; ido-mode autocompletion failure aborts find-file when attempting to use tramp
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 19:38:02 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks, the error is no longer signaled.

Thanks for the confirmation; I'll close the bug.

> Hmm... but I cannot seem to get any useful completion for session
> names I have saved in PuTTY.  Whatever I type after "/plinkx:", I get
> just "[No match]".  It doesn't matter if ido-mode is active or not (in
> the latter case, I tried to type TAB to get some completions).  What
> am I missing?

I'll check.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 24.5; ido-mode autocompletion failure aborts find-file when attempting to use tramp
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 19:15:00 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've got ido-mode enabled, and I'm trying to open a file on another
machine with TRAMP. This machine is running windows, so I'm using
plinkx. As soon as I type the @ in the filename (I'm trying to open
/plinkx:db48x@anglachel:projects/emularity/loader.js, in this case) I
get this error in the *Messages* buffer:

ido-file-name-all-completions-1: Opening directory: no such file or directory, c:/plinkx:db48x@

And here's the stack trace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Opening directory" "no such file or directory" "c:/plinkx:db48x@")
  file-name-all-completions("" "/plinkx:db48x@")
  ido-file-name-all-completions-1("/plinkx:db48x@")
  ido-file-name-all-completions("/plinkx:db48x@")
  ido-make-file-list-1("/plinkx:db48x@")
  ido-make-file-list(nil)
  ido-read-internal(file "Find file: " ido-file-history nil confirm-after-completion nil)
  ido-file-internal(raise-frame)
  ido-find-file()
  call-interactively(ido-find-file nil nil)
  command-execute(ido-find-file)

I'm not sure if ido is supposed to ignore this error, or if it's calling
the wrong function, or what.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2015-04-11 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/usr --host=i686-pc-mingw32'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-keep-place-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  highlight-changes-visible-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
mouse-2, RET: find function's definition
Quit
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
ido-file-name-all-completions-1: Opening directory: no such file or directory, c:/plinkx:db48x@
Quit
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Debug on Error enabled globally
Entering debugger...
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.
mouse-2, RET: find function's definition

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail debug tramp-cmds vc-git
tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
erc-truncate erc-speedbar erc-sound erc-services erc-replace erc-page
erc-notify erc-log erc-identd erc-ibuffer ibuf-ext erc-ezbounce
erc-desktop-notifications notifications dbus erc-dcc erc-capab
erc-autoaway ido-completing-read+ warnings autoload lisp-mnt mm-archive
network-stream starttls url-http tls url-gw url-cache url-auth url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf mailcap url-handlers epg finder-inf etags tutorial info-look
info help-macro help-at-pt ehelp eieio-opt ses unsafep package
epg-config newst-backend xml derived mpc ispell htmlfontify esh-var
esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-util erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill
erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat pp
doc-view jka-compr image-mode calculator calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs
windmove whitespace vcursor ruler-mode mule-util reveal repeat
org-protocol org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs linum kmacro ido ibuffer hl-line
hippie-exp follow filesets filecache ffap emacs-lock dabbrev completion
bs autorevert filenotify autoinsert elec-pair cua-base two-column
ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-init desktop frameset apropos cus-theme
eieio-custom wid-browse tree-widget shadowfile ange-ftp woman man
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe rst compile comint ansi-color rcirc
ring ps-print ps-def lpr proced mh-e mh-compat mh-acros cl-macs cl gv
mh-buffers mh-loaddefs message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader hilit-chg hi-lock gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils cwarn cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit face-remap
dired-aux dired js advice json imenu thingatpt cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs misearch
multi-isearch browse-url url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv eieio-core
gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars arc-mode
archive-mode help-mode easymenu server time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32notify w32
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 1196167 101198)
 (symbols 32 50928 0)
 (miscs 32 39459 8251)
 (strings 16 151747 23960)
 (string-bytes 1 4319858)
 (vectors 8 56800)
 (vector-slots 4 1622444 36118)
 (floats 8 568 1394)
 (intervals 28 102001 3582)
 (buffers 508 82))