Subject: Re: bug#20793: 25.0.50; Some Unicode glyphs aren't monospaced

From: Oleh Krehel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 15:51:59 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Oleh Krehel <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 14:54:51 +0200
>> 
>> My preferred font is "DejaVu Sans Mono".  When using the Unicode
>> character "✜", its width is more than the standard char width. This
>> causes alignment problems for me.
>
> Which alignment problems?  Can you describe them?

If all chars aren't the same width, it's impossible to align plain text
into a matrix, with each char exactly below the previous one.

> As you see, Emacs 25.0.50 used a different font for this character.
> Why did you expect it to use DejaVu Sans Mono?  What is your frame's
> default font?  Do you have any font-related customizations, and if so,
> could you please show them?

I just have `custom-theme-set-faces' with default :family "DejaVu Sans Mono".
So I would expect that to be used if possible.

> Also, when was your Emacs 25 built?  There were changes lately in this
> area, so it's important to know whether your binary is recent or not.

I think I built it a week ago. I've just rebuilt 00119c6, and the bug is
gone. So I guess it's fine to close this bug.  Just to add, in the old
build the curved quotes in Info weren't fixed width as well.

Thanks for reminding me to rebuild, I'll try to remember this for the
next bug report.