Subject: bug#20782: 25.0.50; Emacs crashes when creating a file with emacs-template package w/o interactive call

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 10:43:24 +0300

> From: [email-masked] (Vincent Belaïche)
> Cc: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]> ,
>  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 00:06:53 +0200
> 
> I need anyhow to load template.el as part of the recipe to cause the
> crash --- should I also destroy template.elc ?

Loading template.el manually should be enough.

> What is happening is that I was developping some macros to create a file
> from a row in a SES spreadsheet using an Emacs template. My macro had a
> few bugs (notably it tries to create a file in a directory that does not
> exists and a few other wrong things causing template-new-file in
> trouble). I think that this is what causes some unusual processing going
> through bug#20782 source of crash.
> 
> Now please note that I had included some explicit (debug) statement in
> my macro in order to debug it. But then when I type 'j' in order to
> execute fully the (template-new-file ...) statement right after the
> (debug) statement, then it seems that, indeed, some error is met and the
> debugger is recursively entered and then Emacs crashes.

Can you show the part of the source that invokes 'debug'?

> Maybe we could skype together and by sharing my screen you would see the
> recipe to make the bug happen and could give further guidance for me to
> provide more information.

Since you are using an old verion of the development sources, doing
that wouldn't be an efficient way of investigating this problem.  I
suggest to upgrade to the latest sources, and if the problem still
persists, we can take it from there.