Subject: bug#20780: 25.0.50; explain where to find skeletons in autotype info manual

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 05:46:29 +0200

Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was trying to find a template/skeleton mechanism, and that leads to
> (info "(emacs) Text") :
>>    The “automatic typing” features may be useful when writing text.
>> *note The Autotype Manual: (autotype)Top.
>
> Following through to the autotype info page, I'm a bit disappointed
> because the manual explains how skeletons can:
> - accept input in section 1,
> - be modified with prefix arguments in section 2,
> - be called as abbrevs in section 3,
> and we have to wait section 4 to read about a (quite scary,
> IMO) way to define skeletons. I'm now convinced that it is in fact not
> expected that the *user* writes her own skeletons. Is that right ?

I think that's right.

> If that is the case, I suggest to mention that fact right from the
> beginning, and maybe explicitly list a few places where skeletons are
> actually availables (which key). C-mode is mentionned but from "emacs -Q
> -f c-mode" I couldn't find anything in the menu.

I wonder why the autotype manual is linked from the Emacs manual at
all.  It's a very low-level (lispref-like) manual, and doesn't really
seem to be something we should steer users towards?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no