Subject: Re: bug#20780: 25.0.50; explain where to find skeletons in autotype info manual

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 19:44:07 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 05:46:29 +0200
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>> I wonder why the autotype manual is linked from the Emacs manual at
>> all.  It's a very low-level (lispref-like) manual, and doesn't really
>> seem to be something we should steer users towards?
>
> AFAIR because some user-level feature(s) is/are described only there.
> But I might be mistaken.

You're right; I didn't look closely enough.  Basically the least
user-friendly bit is the "Skeleton Language" node -- the rest are more
or less something users can be expected to relate to.

Would it make sense to just move that node to after the more user-facing
nodes?

@menu
* Using Skeletons::        How to insert a skeleton into your text.
* Wrapping Skeletons::     Putting existing text within a skeleton.
* Skeletons as Abbrevs::   An alternative for issuing skeleton commands.
* Skeleton Language::      Making skeleton commands insert what you want.
* Inserting Pairs::        Typing one character and getting another
                             after point.
* Autoinserting::          Filling up empty files as soon as you visit them.
* Copyrights::             Inserting and updating copyrights.
* Executables::            Turning interpreter scripts into executables.
* Timestamps::             Updating dates and times in modified files.
* QuickURL::               Inserting URLs based on text at point.
* Tempo::                  Flexible template insertion.
* Hippie Expand::          Expansion of text trying various methods.

[...]

@end menu

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no