Subject: Python .egg files must not be compressed

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 15:38:38 +0200

I stumbled upon a similar problem when building other Python packages.
For ‘python-patsy’, for example, I found that an egg archive is produced
no matter what I put in ‘setup.cfg’.  As far as I can tell, “zip_ok”
defaults to “0” in recent versions of setuptools, so I don’t think the
fix you used on ‘python-pillow’ would have much effect in general.

I could only coerce the build system to install plain files by adding a
build phase like this:

         (add-after 'unpack 'prevent-generation-of-egg-archive
          (lambda _
            (substitute* "setup.py"
              (("from setuptools import setup")
               "from distutils.core import setup"))
            #t))

It turns out that when ‘setuptools.setup’ is used egg archives are
built, when ‘distutils.core.setup’ is used, however, this does not
happen.

~~ Ricardo