Subject: 24.4; emacs24 menubar does not work properly

From: Enno <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 15:10:47 +0200

$ emacs -Q
Then:
In emacs window click a menu entry: this highlights the selected entry and produces a dropdown menue of entries.  Then pull the pointer to the next menu entry to the left or right from the initially selected one.  This removes the highlighing of the initially selected menu entry, lets the dropdown menu disappear, highlights the newly selected menu entry but...  no dropdown menu for that menu appears.  In fact as much as you might move the mouse to the right or left, no dropdown menu appears anywhere, not even on the initially selected one where you had a dropdown just seconds ago.  Only if you deselect the menubar by clicking elsewhere you can then again produce a dropdown from a newly chosen menu, but again only for this one.

I cannot imagine that this is a feature, and i suppose it's this same behaviour that led me to trigger my recent (erroneous) bug report about python(-mode), because there i could also produce a dropdown only for the first chosen submenu, not for any further ones.

Brgds, ed.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2015-03-07 on binet, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11500901
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 7.1 (wheezy)

Configured using:
 `configure --build i586-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build i586-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
[not relevant] M-x r e p o <tab> r t - <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
[not relevant]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell

Features:
(shadow emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
mail-utils misearch multi-isearch info tex-mode compile shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring latexenc help-mode easymenu
which-func imenu cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet
lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 94238 7159)
 (symbols 24 19521 0)
 (miscs 20 93 169)
 (strings 16 15476 5125)
 (string-bytes 1 414177)
 (vectors 8 11150)
 (vector-slots 4 409885 5838)
 (floats 8 79 372)
 (intervals 28 295 98)
 (buffers 512 14)
 (heap 1024 32905 432))

-- 
      //       [email-masked]
    /\\\       Mag. Enno Deimel
  .\    o
 \\  \ _  \    Wisely and slow; they stumble that run fast.
\\\     \_/
gpg-fp: eefe b049 6fe6 fc0b 0ec4  f39e af6a c178 eb98 909a