Subject: bug#20754: checkdoc-current-buffer prints to stdout?!

From: Oleh Krehel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 16:23:48 +0200

Sebastian Wiesner <[email-masked]> writes:

> while debugging unit test failures in Flycheck, I accidentally discovered
> checkdoc-current-buffer apparently prints messages to standard output in
> Emacs 25.1 in noninteractive mode.
>
> Would you please revert this change?

No, this change doesn't need to be reverted. It's useful for running
checkdoc in batch. And it does check for `noninteractive' before
printing. There's a bunch of workarounds that flycheck could use:

- bind `noninteractive'
- bind `inhibit-message'

> Would you please be more strict about updating
> NEWS for breaking changes such as this?

This isn't a breaking change. If you have any problem with checkdoc, the
usual procedure is to:

    git log --follow lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el

or the equivalent "lf" in magit.

Actually, I'd think that it would be beneficial for flycheck to be able
to run checkdoc in batch, since async can make things faster. But then,
I'm not really familiar with flycheck.

Oleh