Subject: Re: bug#20747: 24.4; emacs24 seems to become unresponsive after having been iconised

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 11:51:01 +0200

enno <[email-masked]> writes:

>     > Thanks for reporting back.  Can you reproduce this when running
>     > "emacs -Q"?
>
> Slight difference:
> Emacs doesn't react to keyboard entries after having been minimized via C-z BUT C-x C-f then goes into the minibuffer to find a file (without the -Q option it opens a gtk open file dialog).  And after switching buffers, see see, the keyboard entries all of a sudden are there in the previous (formerly 'blocked') buffer.
>
>     > Could you give a detailed recipe for how to
>     > reproduce it?
>
> Launch (|call|execute|run) emacs under xorg, type C-z (that is in emacs-talk: hold control key and press z key--this is supposed to minimize emacs into a symbol tray status or suchlike).  Then hit M-tab (hold Alt (|Meta) key and press Tab key once, this is supposed I suppose in most window managers to switch to the most recent other window, so it should bring the minimized emacs back to front and focus).  Hit keys sdfghjk (or whatever)--nothing happens in the buffer, it looks as if emacs was hung, and so it was in the past when I first posted this bug report.

OK.  I guess the next step would be to see what Emacs is doing while
it is blocked.  This would mean providing a C level backtrace using
gdb.  Could you provide such a backtrace?  It's not very complicated,
and the details on how to do it are in the file etc/DEBUG.

AFAIU, if possible, it's best to do this from the current master
branch.  Second best is running the latest released Emacs version
26.3.  Third best is to just use whatever you have installed and hope
this code hasn't changed (that) much since.  (Someone should correct
me if I'm wrong about this.)

>     > Could you please also say which window manager you are using?
>
> enlightenment, in version 0.22.4

Thanks.  One other thing you could try before trying to get a
backtrace:  Does your window manager have any special customization?
Does it help using the default configuration instead?  That might help
to nail it down.

> Hope this helps, anyway the problem is negligible now i guess.

Does that mean that it's better now than before?  If yes, how?

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas