Subject: bug#20744: shell-quote-argument in Emacs 24.5 and Emacs 25 on Windows cannot figure out path correctly

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 17:14:33 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> >> That doesn't include ":", but then there's those "really weird shells",
>> >> whatever they may be...
>> >
>> > Perhaps we could have a branch for Bash only.
>> 
>> Tramp would happily join that branch, for "really weird shells on a
>> remote host".
>
> Meaning you are for such a change, or against it?  (Sorry, it wasn't
> clear from what you said.)

Bash is always a pain to handle, there are exceptions in Tramp's code
for that. But having a branch for this is not realistic for Tramp,
because Tramp doesn't distinguish remote shells, it only expects that
they speak a bourne-shell dialect.

My message was rather a sigh than a request.

Best regards, Michael.