Subject: 24.4; Meta on left win key doesn't work

From: André Wöbbeking <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 09:39:38 +0200

Hi,

I've a MicroSoft keyboard (german layout) and want the left Win key
to be Meta and the left Alt to be Alt. To achieve this I used KDE's
system settings for input devices (advanced options). After I changed
the settings xev reports the left Win key as Meta and also all Qt/KDE
programs do. But in Emacs left Win key gives me Hyper and left Alt
gives me Meta.

With setxkbmap -query I get:

rules:      evdev
model:      microsoftprousb
layout:     de
options:    caps:hyper,altwin:left_meta_win

If I change the settings for caps lock to be e. g. the compose key Emacs
works as expected.

Cheers,
Andre

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.9)
 of 2015-03-21 on kissel, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11701000
System Description:	Ubuntu 15.04

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=3D/usr
 --sharedstatedir=3D/var/lib --libexecdir=3D/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=3D/var/lib --infodir=3D/usr/share/info
 --mandir=3D/usr/share/man --with-pop=3Dyes
 --enable-locallisppath=3D/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24=
.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-li=
sp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=3D/usr --sharedstatedir=3D/var/lib
 --libexecdir=3D/usr/lib --localstatedir=3D/var/lib
 --infodir=3D/usr/share/info --mandir=3D/usr/share/man --with-pop=3Dyes
 --enable-locallisppath=3D/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24=
.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-li=
sp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=3Dyes --with-x-toolkit=3Dgtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=3D-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=3Dformat-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=3D-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3D2
 'LDFLAGS=3D-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: svn-status

Minor modes in effect:
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x s v <tab> s <tab> <return> <return> <help-echo>=20
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>=20
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>=20
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>=20
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>=20
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar>=20
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading debian-ispell...done
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el (source)...d=
one
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50git-core.el (source)...done
Loading delsel...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-=
lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/=
emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/em=
acs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail delsel cus-start cus-load paren
ruler-mode mule-util psvn edmacro kmacro wid-edit diff-mode pp elp
ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util dired compile-cmake rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok
romand-mode dispo++-mode lok-mode cif-mode show-wspace cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
switch-header-cpp point-stack tempos railsys-style ffap thingatpt
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core gnus-util password-cache url-vars trailing-whitespace
tempo-snippets tempo pymacs advice lisp-helpers git derived log-edit
easy-mmode message cl-macs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader ring pcvs-util add-log ewoc cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 739642 38121)
 (symbols 48 28152 0)
 (miscs 40 69087 101)
 (strings 32 82766 8932)
 (string-bytes 1 2548113)
 (vectors 16 19286)
 (vector-slots 8 634071 12410)
 (floats 8 100 132)
 (intervals 56 69545 5720)
 (buffers 960 14)
 (heap 1024 62909 1956))