Subject: bug#20741: 24.4; flyspell doesn't work with abbreviations ending in a period

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 15:27:54 +0000

On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 at 15:21, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> It's the same case: references to variables and other symbols in
> comments and strings of a program are very frequent.  They are also
> very frequent in email messages which discuss programming, such as
> this discussion (I have Flyspell turned on in all my email buffers).
>

I think we can distinguish 3 different problems here:

1. Natural language spellchecking. That's what this issue is about.
2. Spell-checking code. (Essentially, identifiers.)
3. Finding code inside natural language, and checking it as if it were
code. (That's what you're talking about here.) This is not a spellchecking
problem, it's a problem of identifying which spell-checking apparatus to
use, rather like font-lock for multi-language buffers. It's hard to see how
to do it without some syntactic clue (e.g. the use of backticks in
markdown), as used in multi-language buffers for font-locking.

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org