Subject: bug#20741: 24.4; flyspell doesn't work with abbreviations ending in a period

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 11:44:56 +0100

Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:

> To be honest, I'm not sure Emacs can do much here. As far as I can
> tell, hunspell doesn't cope well with characters like "." that
> normally are non-word characters, but *can* occur in a word.
>
> Relatedly, see: https://github.com/hunspell/hunspell/issues/361

So it's a problem on the hunspell side, and not because Emacs is
considering the "." to be a non-word character?  (I haven't tried to
debug what's going on.)

There's also a problem in common abbreviations like "i.e.", which is
considered as the words "i" and "e", apparently...

I was wondering whether Emacs could query the backend speller whether it
had the word "foo." in the dictionary before squiggly-lining "foo", but
I'm very unfamiliar with how these functions work.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no